....Look at glorious Georgetown Penang

Thursday, May 13, 2010

...and where were you May 13 ?

For me, today is a sad day in Malaysian history - the anniversary of the racial riots that rocked the nation in 1969.

I have nothing much to say about it except that it was one of the most traumatic experience any Malaysian could have gone through.
I remember waking up on May 13 1969 ready to go to school, but I can't. I'm not allowed to - all schools have been closed!...and hip, hip hurray!

...the radio began playing music non-stop. And so there it was, our Phillips radio doing the stuff it's supposed to do - broadcast really good music non-stop. Really nice.

Jay & The Americans came on with "This Magic Moment"...what an irony, and then "Baby, Make It Soon" by The Marmalade. But reality sank in as the announcements came...announcing the curfew hours. Gosh!..we're on a round-the-clock curfew!

A curfew being in place, and a State of Emergency declared (heck, I don't even knew what that meant then) - riot police and the army in full gear, equipment and combat vehicles were just outside our front door, ...as I peeped through tiny holes in our run-down wooden windows.

Next to us is the Kampung Mesjid Jamek in Acheen Street....and how I dread my friends and classmates who live there will get into trouble. Or my getting into trouble ending up possibly badly injured or dead.... that would leave them one mate less for our kite-flying, top-spinning or sling-shooting sessions.

Even though I was already 13, I had always thought that such kind of widespread and open violence only happen on the silver screen - to the Roman Empire in days of yore!

It was, however, very fortunate for us - the malays, chinese and indians in our neighbourhood to go through that blotched period in history peacefully without any serious or untoward incident worth mentioning. The Penang Heritage Trail was kinda peaceful, compared to the news and "rumours" we get about what's happening at other places.

We were already the 1-Malaysia then,
everyone was worried about each other. In fact, my chums in Aziz, Ahmad, Huan-choo, Thi-Looku, "Botak" Singh, Aru...we were so concerned for the safety of each other. On every break of curfew a few days later, we'd go to the backlane of Aziz's house to find out if everyone's doing OK.

Yes, that was a real bad blotch in Malaysia's history, and I think this was just about the unhappiest time of growing up besides the 1968 Penang Hartal, when all businesses closed intentionally to protest against the devaluation of the currency. Man, at that time, I couldn't even get my regular Wrigley's Chewing Gum! .....I didn't even know what currency devaluation meant!

We have learned our lesson well, and I have learned what caused it - although there are many versions of why and how it happened. Most importantly we should not let our emotions and actions be made use of by unscrupulous, vile and WIIFM (what's-in-it-for-me) people in politics.

They have 2 faces sometimes 3, and they like and unlike, friend and unfriend, quit and unquit, and then quit and unquit again, more than 30 years before we're doing it on social networking sites,  .....only that they have become better. Not all, but the ones not doing it must be angels. But angels are not people in politics.

Keep the history books open with historical facts. This will prevent us from repeating bad history.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When i was young, i don't know why we need to learn history in our class...but..when i get older...that is really a point that why we need to learn history..
As you saying:
Keep the history books open with historical facts. This will prevent us from repeating bad history. Meanwhile, I do feel that it is also a good example for us to learn management..
I think i need to spend more time to study on this page of your blog..as..not easy for me to understand about malaysia's hisotry...somtimes..i do think that. U & me are chinese...but different enviromemnt then we are different history now of our life.

Debby - office hour again..needs to work la

yeesang said...

Hi Debby,
We are just 4 hours away in term of distance, flying by air!
Yes, we have many things in common only that we live in different countries. But that is not a problem because we live in the same planet earth!
I was just 19 years old when I stayed in HK for 3 months, 37 years ago. It's a great place, and I learned about HK's history and tried to blend into HK's culture and way of life.
At that point in time, I witnessed many incidents where supporters of Chiang Kai-shek or Mao Tse-tung refused to be friends or even talk to each other when they are working at the same production line! Sometimes, they shouted at each other and they wanted to fight right away.....like my fighting fishes!
As a 19 year old, I had to calm them down. It was a tough job, because I was there for training and preventing colleagues from fighting was not really in my job description.
Anyway Debby, what I'm trying to say is that it's a small world indeed. Human beings are human beings.Black, red, yellow, white, brown we are all the same; we all have the same blood colour. The difference is human beings have emotions, and many people can't control emotions. But human beings have brains, only we have the same problem; many don't use it rationally.
With reference to history books, all over the world they have the facts twisted to favour the politicians' agenda. So what I wanted to say in this blog is that the leaders of the government should never twist the facts of our history books because the readers will repeat that hidden or twisted fact on them....and this is a fact for any twisted or hidden fact in our history books.
Have a good day Debby. Continue reading, if you are not clear of anything in my blog, feel free to ask even for the older posts. I'm always ready to help.

Powered By Blogger