....Look at glorious Georgetown Penang

Friday, May 7, 2010

....and those were the days, my friend.

"Get Out!.....and stand outside, by the door!"

That was the voice of gorgeous Ms. Georgina Wong, our Primary 3 English Teacher in 1963.
So there I went and there I stood, a first time punishment for me in school. There has to be a first time for everything, I said to myself - but I was so afraid, and so worried that my whole world would simply "be gone" should any of my classmates break this news to mum later.

But soon I was enjoying the view outside the class. The tall bamboo trees, green field, and a heritage building which is today the State Museum. My classmates are surely missing this wonderful view, and what a nice breeze! ...and it's blowing away all my worries.

Just as I got carried away by the scenery and cool winds, I was suddenly stunned by the sudden appearance of the headmaster Mr. Chin Nyoon Nyean. He beckoned my teacher to where I was standing and asked what business I have along the corridors.

She explained.

"Show me your song book," HM cooly asked, and sticking out my tongue, I quickly went to my desk to collect it for his checking.

Die-lah!....

"This is the song he was copying on to the song book. He was doing this when he should be paying attention in class", gorgeous quickly justified her action on me.

"...and what have you got to say, little boy?" the HM asked.

I stuttered and stammered, "I, I, I..... am sorry, Sir!"

"Good, do you know the meaning of this song?"

"Yes Sir! It...it..is, is...about Not Responsible"

"....and do you know what it means?"

"Yes, Sir... I have not been responsible"

"Good, ....and who sang this song?"

"He..,He....Helen Shar..piro."

"Good. ....and now you shall sing this song at our year end Speech, Concert & Prize Giving Day. You have nice hand-writing, you learn for your age many difficult english words from the songs you have copied, and you look intelligent enough not to be standing at the corridor when class is in progress. I hope you are a good singer too, but if you aren't, you still have a lot of time to practise....in your shower at home, at your own time. Understand?"

"Yes, Sir!"....and I went back to class. Ms. Georgina Wong was a bit pissed by HM overturning her disciplinary action on me, but I developed a great respect for both of them; and I thought HM was a far-sighted person, very out-of-the-box in his handling of my case.

In the months to come, I still continued with my song book, copying latest songs, decorating the book with "original" artwork and fancy handwritings.

The english movies Dad brought me to each weekend also helped, and soon I was way ahead of my classmates in the english subject. By the year end exams, I was tops

Best grade among all pupils in Primary 3, and I was awarded 2 book prizes. By then, I had "matured" and I selected hard cover novels of Charles Dickens in Oliver Twist, and Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. Cool!.... mum & dad's gonna be very happy!

Then I realised that on Speech, Concert & Prize Giving Day, I still have to sing "Not Responsible" ....when HM reminded me as I was browsing for the book prize, "Congratulations little boy!..and don't forget your promise, huh!"


"May I change it to another song?"
"Not a song by Elvis the Pelvis, please." He could read my mind.

It was immediately a done deal when I suggested some thing more appropriate in an oldie-folksie "Papa, He Loves Mama"

....Had the Beatles
been on the scene earlier, I would have been belting out loud, "I Wanna Hold Your Haaaaand" to Ms. Georgina Wong, a gorgeous teacher who should be in her seventies now. I hope she is still around, and gorgeous for her age.

Thanks georgeous,
you had a big hand in my learning of english as a subject.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca always my english teacher in the net and told me what is that meaning of the songs...and she is so willing to share and explain to me about the lyric..

i like to find out what do the lyric mean of the song..if i like and love the song very much..but..i never have a song book with" original" artwork and fancy handwritings...hhaha

i hope it will be not late to me to learn good english and even without my "song book"..

Good sharing..
hope to see u more about your sharing too !!
You are my teacher of teacher..hahha..

yeesang said...

Absolutely delighted that you are learning much from my blog, english at least. It's never too late, and no one is ever too old to perpend about learning anything.
Even right now as a grand-pop, I am studying & doing research for my PhD! It may not come until another 4 years, and a lot of hard work.
Everyone should dream, have the right to dream, but must make a lot of self-effort to realise that dream. Otherwise it'll be just a dream.
I'm glad rebecca's helping out, and I've created an interest in you about english as a subject. Your english is quite good already, but no one should stop after being quite good. He/she just got to make that good even better!
Have a fun time reading my blog, and feel free to comment always. Have an enjoyable evening and great tomorrow.

Powered By Blogger