....Look at glorious Georgetown Penang

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

....and the World Cup brings the human race together!

Let me tell you why suddenly, there is quietness in this blog.

Blogger has been watching the World Cup matches and has no time to blog! Kekekeke!....I suppose followers also had no time to read my blogs as this football mania continues to infect the world. So I'm keeping quiet.

But I can't resist blogging on the World Cup now as it enters the semi-final and final stage.

I like football.

Man, I LUV football.... not so much in playing now, but enjoying world-class games on big HDTV screens with beers, finger foods & buddies each night watching this World Cup matches.


Reminiscing the days of footballing, I remember playing for my primary Hutching's School team, and it was a tremendous experience. Most of the time we lost...hehehee, and it was normally because of me? I was a goal-keeper by virtue of my height, ....but I let in a lot of goals!...hehehee (again). But then again, I don't mind being scape-goated as I was a lousy goal-keeper. I would have done better at the flanks, but coach would have nothing of that!

So at the end of a match with another school, it's always, "You lah!...so tall, still can't catch those 3 high balls!.... lousy goal-keeper!"

"You lah!.... so short still want to play football! Can't even hold back the attack!....you lousy full backs!," I'd retort childishly.

At the end of the day, however, we'd leave all those behind us and look forward to the next game. That was the kind of comradeship I still value to this day. Football is a very challenging game that revolves around team-work. Skills in the defending, attacking, ball control and set-pieces are essential of course.

But we lacked the skills. We worked extra hard to be a good team, but we somehow can't raise our skills level. We played in the rain, we played even on the roads and bumpy playground in Penang Youth Centre. We had a Mr. Khoo, our PE teacher as a coach and team manager, and a lady, yes, lady teacher assisting him. Little wonder we normally lose!.... hahaha, scape-goating again, huh? But since when have we seen a lady assistant manager in a football team?

My craze for football still continues; adrenalin still pump hard inside of me everytime I watch a world class football game. Back in 1974, and about to start my apprenticeship in Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong for a meagre HK$10/- per day, the World cup came on. But then in Malaysia, the only live telecasts were the semi-final & final.

We had no TV, and my usual chums of the gang went around the neighbouhood looking for a kind soul who would let us into their home to watch the final between West Germany and . Holland. Yes, there was a kind soul - and we went in after placing a bet with him. Our gang picked Holland, and we were so happy when Holland put in an early goal. We giggled and giggled non-stop.... giggle, giggle, money i$ coming.

Then West Germany equalised. We still believed Holland would win.....and finally the cruncher came -West Germany scored again, and won their second World Cup title in 20 years as they beat the Dutch 2-1.

This was the first tournament shot in color for television audiences all over the world - and we were watching it in black and white. Suddenly, the faces on my gang members went pale!... or colourless, if I may say so! We split the loss evenly between 10 of us. A cool RM100 each!....almost a month of my apprenticeship allowance in Hong Kong gone! Of course, mum & dad didn't know....it will be hell if they do. But Cheekiat, of course knew, he was the leader who picked Holland - and we both had a well-kept secret from our parents.

We were no rich kids, so we had to pay back in 3 installments. Giggle, giggle....not us, the kind soul who let us in to watch the match....damn!

I have learned my lesson well. Many people who don't even have any passion for football at other times get caught betting heavily beyond their means during the World Cup. To them I suggest they buy a World Cup's trophy that is cloned, weighs 3kg like this ------>



....and live happily ever after. I have been football happy for 20 years. With each World Cup season, I look at the trophy, and back at those days with a lot of sentimental happiness. Giggle, giggle, giggle....kekeke!....(forget the golf)

Come together, enjoy the remaining matches, and if I may forecast Gemany to beat Holland in the final this time? A little bet, about history repeating itself?....

....A black beer & a grilled fish, Holland to be grilled!! Any takers?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i will be wearing the German jersey you got me the last time you went to Hamburg tonight!

yeesang said...

yeah!!!!.....danke schoen!

Powered By Blogger